What is this?

I never thought about the spiritual aspects of giving my kids a bath or standing in a line at a grocery store. However, God has recently showed me some insightful biblical truths in some of the most mundane tasks in life. Whether I am driving, showering or sleeping each of these activities has a biblical truth tucked inside of it. In the forest of life, God’s biblical truth is inside each one of these trees. My hope is that others view the ordinary aspects of life through a spiritual lens and see what God teaches you.







Monday, June 10, 2013

Hello Dolly!

Every time I help somebody move, I ponder if having a root canal would be easier than packing up a whole house and moving.  Moving is a lot of work and I am thankful my husband and I recentlly were able to help some friends move.  As we began to unload the overstuffed moving truck, it didn’t take us long to realize the immense amount of work ahead of us.  The truck load that I thought was only going to take a couple of hours rapidly turned into an all-day project.   Some may think it is silly to pray about unloading a moving truck, but there was no stopping this prayer as I looked at the task at hand.
1.       Lord, please don’t let me break something.  I am a bit clumsy and the last thing I want is to break great-grandma’s china.
2.       Lord, please don’t let anyone get hurt.  Those items going upstairs do not look light!
3.       Lord, please don’t let me get too tired.  I want to be helpful and useful not a wimp!
At the beginning of the move, I would carry one or two boxes at a time in my arms. That quickly got old and tiring!  Throw in some Texas summer heat and uncomfortable shoes and the level of exhaustion skyrockets. However, I am forever grateful to the person who invented the dolly.   With the dolly, I could carry three boxes and not exert nearly as much energy.  It was a win-win.  More boxes, less energy meant quicker completion and more time for relaxation and fun.   The dolly became so convenient; I practically was looking for ways to carry pillows on it.  Soon, the running joke of the day became there is nothing to light for the dolly.  If a feather was packed in that overstuffed moving truck, I would have probably attempted to use the dollyJ.
 Just like the dolly in a move, God does the heavy lifting in my life.  With Him, I don’t have to weary to the extent like before.  He knows how to lighten my load.  “Come to me all who are weary and heavy-laden and I will give you rest” (Matthew 11:28).  He uses me to get the work done but I am weak without Him.  I can only do a fraction of what HE can do. As hard as I thought I was working during the move, I can guarantee you the dolly was doing MUCH more work effortlessly!   God is busy at work in our lives doing much more than we could ever imagine. We are foolish to rely solely on our strength and abilities not only to fix things but journey through life. 
However, God wants me to do my share. The boxes don’t just magically put themselves on the dolly, but I don’t have to do it alone nor without help.  He gives me the strength that I need to face the challenges ahead.  “He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.  Even youths grow tired and weary and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not be faint.” (Isaiah 40:29-31).  
It is hard to fathom never to grow weary when a walk down the street can feel like a marathon, but God’s strength never fades nor decreases.  His Word tells us “not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit says the Lord.” This verse is a challenge in a world where being strong is an admirable quality. But as strong or tough as we may think, we are powerless when it comes to God in what He could do in our lives.  

No comments:

Post a Comment