What is this?

I never thought about the spiritual aspects of giving my kids a bath or standing in a line at a grocery store. However, God has recently showed me some insightful biblical truths in some of the most mundane tasks in life. Whether I am driving, showering or sleeping each of these activities has a biblical truth tucked inside of it. In the forest of life, God’s biblical truth is inside each one of these trees. My hope is that others view the ordinary aspects of life through a spiritual lens and see what God teaches you.







Monday, December 24, 2012

The Precious Name of Jesus

I can still remember when my husband and I found out the gender of our two children and the massive search for names.  Being both school teachers, many names had a face and a story attached. Some good, some bad but nevertheless a face and story.   I thought we would never find a name. People often ask when you know the gender of your baby what the name is. I don’t know was not a very popular thing to say. The pressure was on to find a name.  There were so many things we evaluated when choosing names.  Meaning, pronunciation, spelling, connotation are just some of the things we considered.   
Mary never had to go through this. Luke 1:31 says “And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bare a son, and you shall call his name Jesus.” Mary never had to search long and hard for a name for her son. The name was given to her. Mary had so many other pressures going on, I am glad a name for her child was not one of them.  Despite being given a birth name, Jesus also has several other names. With my own children, I have several pet names for them and depending on the situation determines which one I use. There are pet names for cuddle time, there pet names for silly times, there are pet names for mischievous times.  I think this is also true with the precious name of Jesus.  Now, I am not talking about giving Jesus little pet names like Little Jay or J.C :). But, the bible is full of names that Jesus goes by that can minister to our hearts depending on our situation.
Prince of Peace can bring a sense of comfort during times of turmoil. Immanuel, God with us,  can bring a sense of security when we feel alone.  Wonderful Advisor brings confidence when we are praying diligently for an important decision. Jesus has so many names that are dear and precious that we can claim. Savior, Redeemer, King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Son of God, Son of Man, Author of Life, Alpha and Omega, Word of God, Deliverer, Lamb of God, Light of the World, Rabbi  just to name of few. And I thought I had a lot of pet names for my kiddos :).
Which name speaks to you today as we celebrate His birth?
Merry Christmas!  

No comments:

Post a Comment